Situated on the edge of the Mendips, close to the River Axe in Somerset, the postcard-worthy town of Axbridge is full of stunning scenery and unique medieval structures. Aside from a strong selection of independent eateries available to visitors, holidaymakers can also expect to enjoy a wide range of high quality self-catering accommodation with Cottage Gems in the Axbridge area.
Places to Visit
- The King John’s Hunting Lodge has been a fixture of Axbridge for over 500 years. Today, this fascinating medieval building remains a popular tourist attraction which houses the Axbridge and District Museum. The museum contains many local historical artefacts and displays, ranging from fossils and skeletons to ancient weights and measures.
- Explore and enjoy the Cheddar Gorge and Caves. This beautiful landmark makes up the biggest gorge in Britain and, with a steep cliff rising of 450ft, brings with it some dramatic views. This famous spot will fill you with awe and, aside from sitting within a National Nature Reserve, is also a great site of exploration and adventure. A series of caves and caverns are accessible to guests (most notably, the famous Gough and Cox Cave’s). These caves are full of unique and mesmerising sites and are sure to leave a lasting impression. Other highlights includes the Lookout Tower climb and, for children, the Crystal Quest.
- The world famous Roman Baths are located just 20 miles from Axbridge. You can stop off at the popular Thermae Bath Spa as well, so you can really soak in the atmosphere of this amazing place.
Things to Do
- Enjoy the award-winning Somerset Farmers Market that is held every month in the Axbridge market square. The 25 stools offer up locally sourced goods and produce, with a selection of cheeses, eggs, meats, fruit and veg, fish, spices and much more available. For taste and quality, these goods are hard to match.
- An action packed day awaits at the Brean Leisure/Theme park. With a wide selection of rides available, you and your family will be spoilt for choice at this fun-filled park.
- Spend a day in the city of Bath, just 20 miles from Axbridge.
With such a diverse offering of attractions and luxury self-catering accommodation, it is easy to see why this picturesque town has become such a popular holiday choice with Cottage Gems. Take a look at what is on offer and you could find yourself enjoying the vast offering that Axbridge has.