The small town of Glastonbury in Somerset is not only popular amongst festival-goers, but has also proven popular with holidaymakers seeking a rural retreat. The rumoured final resting place of King Arthur is full of history and beauty and is set against stunning rolling countryside hills. Glastonbury is known for its charm and culture, the area is full of independent shops that sell a range of wonderful products that reflect the spirit of the area. Glastonbury’s unique culture and spirit, mixed with its gorgeous setting and great variety of things to see and do, make this an excellent place to stay when looking for luxury self-catering accommodation with Cottage Gems.
Places to Visit
- One of England’s earliest abbeys, the Glastonbury Abbey is a place of history and heritage. The abbey has a storied history stretches back over a thousand years and guests are able to experience much of this history first hand as the site houses the believed burial ground of King Arthur.
- Hidden within a lovely garden, the Chalice Well’s waters are said to have healing powers. The water is tinted red and, regardless of the rain, runs the same throughout the year. Guests can also enjoy a dip in the healing pool and soak in the beauty of this serene place.
- The views atop the Glastonbury Tor make the hike to the top truly worthwhile. The tor offers you the chance to see stunning views of Somerset, the Isle of Avalon and Glastonbury. This spiritual site is full of wildlife and is a truly tranquil setting with a rich history (legend claims that King Arthur and his knights visited the tor).
Things to Do
- Spend some time exploring the wonderfully charming independent shops in the area. These shops do well to catch the mood and character of the area.
- Take a day trip to nearby cities such as Bristol and the world heritage city of Bath, both about a one hour drive of Glastonbury. The seaside resort of Weston-super-Mare is also within driving distance and is home to excellent, family-friendly beaches and attractions.
The historic town of Glastonbury is full of things to see and do; from areas of natural beauty to areas of historic significance, this town has a rich and wonderful feel to it and this has helped to establish the area as an excellent rural holiday destination. Cottage Gems luxurious self-catering properties in the area could be the perfect choice for your next holiday trip.