Located near both the spectacular Exmoor National Park and the south-west coastal line it’s not hard to see why Taunton is a highly-popular destination. The town is currently undergoing a successful regeneration project, during which it has retained its charm and popularity whilst also seeing areas like the town centre revitalised. The town is filled with attractions and things to do and is considered the country town of Somerset, making it ideal for a self-catering holiday.
Places to visit
• Be amazed by Exmoor National Park’s vastness. This unique environment is made up of romantic open moorland, ancient valleys and coastal views. It also contains the tallest tree in England and its highest cliffs. Wildlife, such as Exmoor ponies and deer, live freely and in harmony with the park.
• Church of St James looks over Taunton Cricket ground and has stood in the town since the 14th century.
Things to Do
• The West Somerset Railway is the longest Heritage Steam Railway line in the country and both the landscape and the impressive vehicles themselves feel like something out of a period piece. Tours operating on the line not only allow you the chance to board and ride these steam trains, but to be transported in style through the Quantock Hills- an area recognised as one of ‘outstanding natural beauty.’
• Have some fun at Vivary Park. The park not only boasts impressive gardens but also houses miniature golf courses, tennis courts and a model railway station.
• Take in the towns charm by visiting the local markets and pubs. Staying in Cottage Gems self-catering accommodation is perfect for those wishing to really engage with the towns comfort and culture.
Whatever your needs, Taunton offers up a great range of attractions and is well located to the Southern coastal areas of England, making it a fantastic destination for your self-catering holiday.