The city of Hereford is the largest settlement in the county of Herefordshire. Despite this, the city has managed to retain a great sense of its rural heritage with its population still only just hitting 50,000 people, making it a fantastic location for your luxury holiday. Cottage Gems has a selection of unique and high-quality properties in the area for you and your family to enjoy and use as a base from which to be able to explore the areas vast landscapes and rural settlements of Herefordshire. Hereford boosts an array of interactive and unique museums as well as a selection of popular and unique tourist attractions – from vast country settings to cider tasting days out or cave exploration- meaning there is something for everyone.
Places to Visit
- With an interactive Guide to producing the drink, the Cider Museum is one of the city’s most popular destinations and has been an important part of the cities heritage for many centuries. Guests not only get to experience how the drink is made, but (perhaps just as importantly) how this locally made drink tastes.
- Take in the history of the city. Visit the outstanding Hereford Cathedral. Dating back to 1079, the Cathedral contains the famous Mappa Mundi (a medieval map of the world from the 13th century). An exhibition to accompany the map makes this a great family day out.
- Harness your inner explorer! The Clearwell Caves, located in the Royal Forest of Dean, offers an incredible atmosphere and some truly dramatic (and stunning) views.
- The Old House, located in the centre of High Town, is home to a very popular and informative museum about life in the Jacobean era of the 1600's.
Things to Do
- Take to the countryside on horseback. Herefords unspoilt countryside making this an ideal place for horse-riding. Alternatively you can simply enjoy a brisk stroll through these beautiful settings.
- Ever fancied walking with Llamas? The Golden Valley Llamas is an experience like no other, offering you the chance to do so and is considered a ‘must-do’ activity.
- From fishing to strawberry picking to tractor rides, Tillington’s highly-rated Court Farm & Leisure is the perfect way to spend a fun-filled day with your loved ones. The surrounding area makes this worth a visit in itself.
- Take advantage of being near the Weir Garden. The Garden is as unique as it is stunning and the accompanying wildlife makes it an essential day out.
- See conference league side Hereford F.C. in action at the Edgar Street Stadium.
With so much character and beauty to be found in this tranquil place, the city of Hereford is sure to leave a lasting and positive impression on anyone who chooses a glamorous self-catering property in the area with Cottage Gems.